Young chef Patrick Woodward suggests a tasty recipe using the legs and wings from a free-range or organic chicken.
5-spice Chicken Drumsticks
- Deep mixing bowl
- Roasting tray
- 2 chicken legs and wings
- 1 tbsp tablespoon of groundnut or sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated ginger about a thumbnail’s worth
- 1 tbsp shaoshing rice wine, or dry sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp 5-spice powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- Place all the ingredients into a deep mixing bowl. If you want, you can separate the legs by cutting through the joint.
- Mix the meat in the marinade well, then leave in the fridge for at least thirty minutes (overnight is ideal).
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180ºc/gas mark 4. Place the chicken on a roasting tray and roast for 30 minutes.
- I personally cooked mine on the barbecue as the weather was fantastic! For this, you simply need to cook in the centre of the grill, turning every couple of minutes.